Sadly no longer in operation, work on the Donegal Town to Killybegs Railway began in 1890 and the station and stationhouse were erected. The railway opened on 18th September 1893. John Coulter was the first Station Master. The railway closed on 31st December 1959 and the buildings were sold.
Church of the Sacred Heart
The building was begun on a site donated by the Marquis in 1895. It was largely funded by John Walsh, a prominent merchant. It was built of Drumkeelan stone. The foundation stone was blessed on Easter Sunday 1896 and the church was dedicated on May 16th 1897. The gallery was erected in 1930, the porch added in 1939. Both the bell and the Marian Grotto were erected in the Marian Year 1954. Major repairs were carried out after Vatican II and again in 1997.
The Hall House
Reverend Alex Conyngham was appointed first rector of the Established Church in the parish in 1611. He settled near the shore. Pre 1778 he built the Hall House, “a tall square house” (A. Rowan) – inside the details look c.1780. The house was leased to various families – Hamiltons, Pratts, Montgomerys. When Sir Henry Montgomery was raised to the Peerage in 1808 he took the title Montgomery of the Hall. The Marquis sold the house in 1946. It was bought by Captain Lyons from Sligo. It is now owned by a Mr Kennedy – a Dublin business man.